Re: [Phys-l] Fixed paradigms (WAS: buoyancy on a submerged pole)

On 11/5/2010 12:30 PM, John Clement wrote:
No you are not missing anything. A simple free body diagram says it all.
When something is firmly on the bottom with no water under it, there is a
large pressure force on the top, and a counterbalancing normal force exerted
by the aquarium bottom by NTN2 (no acceleration). So by NTN3 there the
object is pushing down on the aquarium bottom equal to the force of the
aquarium pushing up. At that point you can put glue or other inelastic
materials between the object and the aquarium as long as you don't allow
water to seep in. The interesting cases where wrangling is fun is when you
have elastic or porous glue.
/snip/
John M. Clement
Houston, TX
Hmmm..."A simple fee body diagram. " That's 'simple' as in 'obvious' I expect? :-)

Then there is this curious "pressure force". That's a new one to me.
The essence of sealing joints against leakage is applying sufficient pressure to the
adjoining surfaces. It was something of a miracle moment, when the idea of sealing
containers against high fluid pressure, by the use of round cross-section o-rings
was developed. The miracle was that the o-ring needed no great externally applied
mechanical compression: an inherent pressure multiplier effect provides
reliable seals from that geometry.
In the case of our kitchen sink experiments it is much the same:
gather the force applied by the water head on a loose container,
and apply it on a thin edge for preference: the several inches of water pressure
is opposed by a considerably higher mechanical pressure at the foot of the container.

Interesting to read the assertion that water pressure normal to seal pressure
is ineffective: it comes as news to me that water pressure is in fact unidirectional,
not something I associate with pressure, certainly! (But I probably contributed
to this little issue, by talking of a downward seal pressure versus an inward
water pressure: mea culpa.)

...Continuing the general merriment.

Brian W