Re: [Phys-l] buoyancy on a submerged pole

This will be a repeat somewhat of John M's comment: but I would ask Chuck B. two questions

1) This may sound silly, but what is your definition of submerged? As it may have bearing on how I evaluate your statement below.

2) What is the agent of the UPWARD force to which you refer?
(I'm assuming we are analyzing the situation in a "Newtonian" inertial reference frame.)

Joel
_________________________

Joel Rauber, Ph.D
Professor and Head of Physics
Department of Physics
South Dakota State University
Brookings, SD 57007
Joel.Rauber@sdstate.edu
605.688.5428 (w)
605.688.5878 (fax)

I THINK that my hypothesis can be restated as saying that an object
submerged in a fluid will experience an UPWARD force that is equal to
the weight of the fluid displaced.