Re: [Phys-l] buoyancy on a submerged pole

On 11/5/2010 11:58 AM, John Mallinckrodt wrote:
I continue to be utterly mystified by all the wrangling about this "problem" and the many attempts to resolve it experimentally. I understand very well that "physics is an experimental science" and all that, but it would appear that some of us think Newton's laws might actually not apply to this exceedingly simple macroscopic system.

Can somebody explain to me what I'm missing?

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona

You do not suffer from the mental concept of an air filled light container wanting to rise
because it is less dense than the surrounding fluid.
Many people (including, until lately, me) do suffer with this construction, usually
with no ill-effects until the right puzzle comes along.

Brian W