Re: [Phys-l] buoyancy on a submerged pole

On 11/5/2010 10:55 AM, Robert Cohen wrote:
For what it is worth, I placed a large shallow screw-on top (like the
lid to a can of baby formula but deeper) on the bottom of a larger
container. I then filled the container with water, holding down the lid
while it filled. I then let go.

No adhesives were used.

You can predict what happened and then look at the pictures:
<http://www.esu.edu/physics/cohen/phys-l/>

Robert A. Cohen, Department of Physics, East Stroudsburg University
570.422.3428 rcohen@po-box.esu.edu http://www.esu.edu/~bbq

As well to mention explicitly, that this cap was full of oh-so-light air,
yet it stayed stubbornly at the base of the water container
in which it was immersed.

Nice pix!

Brian W