Re: [Phys-l] buoyancy on a submerged pole

(You only used the word "obviously" once. But that was too often! :-)
But it was in quotes with a subsequent disclaimer, so it was "obviously"
ironic.

Beams (and plates) are sensitive to the position of loads
BTW: I did go through an engineering program, and had to analyze trusses,
yeuch, so I do have a reasonable working knowledge of beams. This was
refreshed in detail when I had to help my son with his mechanical
engineering courses. He got out of meche, and is now in comp sci & power
engineering.

Actually all of this discussion has made me think that buoyancy and suction
cups really should be included in the curriculum. If I had to throw out
something to make room for it, I would jettison Bernoulli. Actually the
simple McDermott what floats is probably very necessary as part of the intro
curriculum. The glued to the bottom problem might be good in an advanced
class.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX