Re: [Phys-l] buoyancy on a submerged pole

On 11/3/2010 8:23 PM, Chuck Britton wrote:
At 9:07 PM -0400 11/3/10, Ken Caviness wrote:
It occurs to me that the glue between the bottom of the box and the
bottom of the aquarium might be treated as a viscous fluid. Even if
the glue does seal the box to the aquarium so that no water can seep
between them, as the aquarium is filled with water the pressure at
the bottom of the aquarium rises, and this pressure might then be
expected to squish the glue around the edges, in turn raising the
internal pressure inside the thin layer of glue itself, and being
communicated to the bottom of the box, despite our best efforts to
prevent this from happening. If this were to occur, the box would
effectively again have a buoyancy force.

Of course, if you insist on "ideal glue", like massless strings and
perfectly rigid rods, .... :-)
I'm trying to keep it real here.

Easy to do the experiment: just put a hook in the top of the box
(or pole, as some have said) and tie it to a force sensor overhead,
arranging things so there is some tension in the string (which is
recorded by the force sensor). Now add water. If the glue is
communicating a buoyancy force to the box/pole, the tension in the
string should decrease.
I would expect it to decrease if the water vessel has an unyielding bottom.
For an aquarium - the bottom will sag, But it will sag less if there
is an empty box glued to the bottom.
Yesterday I voted in the wrong side, today I must write more carefully:

In a water container, if a weighty box is added, the weight on the base of the water container increases.
If a weighty box is sealed right at its edges to the base, in a way only physicists can manage, the down force under the box decreases and the base not under the box sees more weight due to the increased water column there.

Brian W