Re: [Phys-l] buoyancy on a submerged pole

On Nov 3, 2010, at 6:36 PM, William Robertson wrote:

Just so I'm clear, you're not saying that the density of the box is
irrelevant in terms of what the bottom of the aquarium under the box
does, right?

No. How MUCH the bottom deflects downward will obviously depend on details including the average density and volume of the box and how much water is in the tank. That is simply to say, it will depend on how much weight the bottom has to support.

What I'm saying is that the box obviously pushes down on the bottom of the aquarium.