Re: [Phys-l] How did Newton estimate the Gravitational constant?

While I trust those with more historical background to be correct that Newton did not estimate 'G', I seem to remember that he did estimate the mass of the earth by estimating the average density. (Any confirmation on that?) With a number in hand for the earth's mass and the measured acceleration of a falling object (apple?), one could find a value for 'G'--if indeed the equation was ever written in that form. I assume the units for such would have been 'interesting' at that point in time.

Rick