Re: [Phys-l] gravitational waves.

It did bother me a bit that there was never any indication on the poster that we haven't detected any gravitational waves. I'm reluctant to post the poster without a disclaimer so that my students won't assume the waves have been measured. Contrast this with the publicity surrounding LHC and the Higgs particle ... it's very clear that it hasn't been measured.

-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu [mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of brian whatcott
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2010 6:44 AM
To: phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] gravitational waves.

On 10/23/2010 9:10 PM, Aburr@aol.com wrote:
I recently received The Physics Teacher with a large, good looking poster
on Gravitational Waves
Is anybody else concerned that the three graphs showing gravitational wave
signals were not labeled as only theoretical and were not actual data?

Alex. F. Burr

I guess that if even I know that comparisons between gravitational and EM
wave propagation are completely speculative and unfounded in any
experimental
result, not too much damage can have been done.
And that's after spending billions in fancy experimental rigs, like
only physicists
can dream up :-) (no offense)

Brian W