[Phys-l] Models and Pictures of Atomic Wavefunctions

[cross-posted from the chemistry list]

On 10/11/2010 09:29 AM, Renee Judd wrote:

The textbook I am using for liberal arts chem discusses electron
configurations. I thought, given the lovely resources on the web for
orbitals, it would be nice to supplement this with graphic
representations of atomic orbitals. I like using color to indicate
the various phases, but most text descriptions use plus and minus to
designate the phases. I have just got through to MOST of the students
that electrons have a negative charge. I do not want orbital lobes
labeled or described as plus or minus. Does anyone have better
language to use with introductory students?

I have substantially upgraded this document:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/wavefunctions.htm

There is a lot more detail on "rope tricks"
http://www.av8n.com/physics/wavefunctions.htm#sec-string

including a discussion of
-- how to demonstrate running waves as well as standing waves,
-- why you can /sometimes/ get away with labeling various parts
of a wavefunction as "plus" and "minus", but why this is always
risky and often impossible, and
-- the importance of using the string demos in tandem with the
tub-of-water demos, to give a much more complete picture.

There is also a new section
http://www.av8n.com/physics/wavefunctions.htm#sec-running

which provides some new multi-dimensional animations portraying
(among other things) the phase and amplitude of the wavefunction
ordinate for the |2p+> wavefunction. The animation makes it quite
obvious that this is a running wave.

These animations are something I've wanted for a long time. I've
had the picture in my mind's eye. All too often, when it comes
to abstract things like wavefunctions, I can visualize more things
than I can capture in a diagram ... but these diagrams came out
the way I wanted them to. On the third hand, there's a lot more
that could be done along these lines. For example, I would like
to apply the same technique to the |2px> orbital, but that would
take a bunch of additional work.

I like using color to indicate the various phases

Done.

I do not want orbital lobes labeled or described as plus or minus.

Done. No labels. Indeed, no lobes!