Re: [Phys-l] Prof. Hal Lewis resigns from APS

I don't think this piece from a few days ago has received mention yet:

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/15/a-physicists-climate-complaints/

It seems to me to be both a measured and reasonable response to the Lewis brouhaha.

After rereading Lewis' words several times my own position is that Lewis, who has no background in and gives no indication of any significant personal understanding of climate research, should be thoroughly ashamed of himself for providing such potent fodder not simply to global warming skeptics, but to anti-science forces in general. His astoundingly intemperate remarks (literally accusing the climate research community and APS of willful fraud in pursuit of riches) will do grave damage to science and to the forces of reason.

Regardless of one's position on the scientific merits of AGW, the scientific community should be 100% united in abhorring Lewis' irresponsibility. For a scientist to hold him up as some kind of Martin Luther as many in the anti global warming community have done is not merely misguided, but shameful.

John Mallinckrodt