Re: [Phys-l] Phys-l madness

I'm not sure how this was intended, but a possible implication is that religious = anti-science = nuts.

That may be your view John, I do not know, but any implication that religious people per se would be against science and therefore would want to trash anthropocentric global warming theories seems a poor generalisation.

For example, some religious people actually would 'welcome' global warming as fulfilling prophecy. I doubt many religious scientists are likely to be in that camp, but to be religious does not mean taking a particular view on global warming.

Turning to more mainstream positions, I know global warming has been a focus of discussion of talks at the Faraday Institute for Science and Religion, here in Cambridge. In that forum the mainstream Christian view seem to have been well aired, i.e. that religious people should consider themselves as custodians of this world and so should take global warming and other issues of sustainable living on earth issues very seriously indeed.

You may have other reasons for feeling that religion is not compatible with science (although you must accept that is just one perspective, and not shared by all scientists), but if you meant to imply that religious people would tend to be biased to disbelieve global warming, then I suspect that is incorrect. Some will, but many will take quite the opposite view - indeed in the Christian tradition (which is not the only major world religion, of course) it is accepted that humans tend to make bad decisions and do damaging things, and it takes an effort to do the right thing, and that people should make this effort to do what is right even if it is not in their immediate material interest.

I know your generalisation is wrong as an absolute; however I am prepared to be told I am wrong about what the majority view would be, if you have good data to show me most religious people tend to disbelieve global warming. That has not been my experience.

Keith