Re: [Phys-l] Prof. Hal Lewis resigns from APS

Rick;

As I understand it (but I am not an expert) the CO2 and methane act as feedbacks, much like ice cover. Shifting orbital parameters change the timing and angle of maximum sunlight at various locations which cause local warming. This causes the oceans to emit CO2 and tundra to emit methane. This increases warming due to atmospheric IR trapping and causes more warming. etc. It can act in reverse as well (cooling causes oceans to take up more CO2, sequesters methane, reducing greenhouse gases, etc.). As I understand it, the very small orbital changes occur too slowly (cycles of 96,000, 43,000 and 20,000 yrs) to account for the abrupt switch from ice age into interglacial (some papers seem to think this can occur in around 100 yrs). Only by including various feedbacks is there enough forcing to account for the 10C or so change between ice age and interglacial. Part of the connection between quantity of CO2 and amount of forcing due to CO2 is based on the amount of change in surface temperature during these switches. The orbital changes do not change the total annual average insolation so there has to be something else going on (i.e. feedback).

Also, if I am not mistaken, the Paleocene-Eocene thermal maximum occurred after the injection of carbon. But don't quote me on that.

kyle

Message: 4 Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 20:02:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Richard Tarara <rtarara@saintmarys.edu> Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Prof. Hal Lewis resigns from APS To: Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> Message-ID: <87748974.700261.1286928120055.JavaMail.root@zimbra.saintmarys.edu> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8 But the data--and the big misrepresentation in Gore's 'Truth'--seems to say the reverse. Gore's big chart clearly shows that the temperature rises preceed the rises in CO2, not the other way around. Hard to make the argument that increased CO2 causes warming from the historical data! Rick ----- Original Message -----

> Rick
> > Hanson makes the argument in his "Grandchildren" book that we aren't
> relying on computer models when we say we know CO2 will raise the
> temperature. He says (I have not found the scientific paper) there
> were
> natural experiments in the geological past that show warming driven by
> CO2. One example he talks about (besides the feedbacks that pushed
> climate out of ice ages) was the Paleocene-Eocene thermal maximum.
> Hanson seems to think that a large injection of carbon into the
> atmosphere (the cause of which is poorly understood) resulted in a
> sharp
> 6C global temperature increase.
> > kyle

'Before you open your mouth, just remember,
the empty wagon rattles the loudest.'
-- my dad

kyle forinash 812-941-2039
kforinas@ius.edu