Re: [Phys-l] Prof. Hal Lewis resigns from APS

On 10/12/2010 6:28 AM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:
You seem to take it as an insult that I would say that "the serious investigators have not found an effect that rises out of the noise" and then you go on to say how the results are not reproducable "100% of the time". I would characterize that as not rising out of the noise. /snip/
Bob at PC

Interesting fusion of the concepts of
significance and repeatability coming through here?

Brings to mind that cherry picking data that is in fact selected from the tails of a distribution
can make it show up as significant?

Brian W