Re: [Phys-l] Clarification: A ball at the center of a planet

I think the reason we all got caught up in picky minutiae is that the question seems like it can't possibly hold any interest absent the effects of minutiae.

Now, however, I think we have a fairly well-defined question. I'm not sure what a "massive run away planet" is, but assuming the intent is to distinguish between a position at the center of a cavity in a gravitating body in free space and that same position minus the gravitating body, I'll choose C; no difference. I suspect that isn't literally true general relativistically, but I'll trust Hasan's implication that he isn't interested in such quibbles.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona