[Phys-l] differentiated instruction

Hello all,

OK, maybe Friday afternoon is not the time to open up this can of worms, but...

My district school goals include differentiated instruction. I have been to a couple of workshops but I have some questions that I was wondering if anyone here can help me with:

1. If I say "I am going to use differentiated instruction in my high school physics class," what exactly am I planning to do? I assume that it means more than "I am going to teach different ways at different times." I've read that it includes differentiating based on content, process and product. My course has only one official approved curriculum. How do I vary the content and how do I choose who gets what? Right now, I use a variety of different teaching methods, but I do not "differentiate". Everyone has to listen to a lecture. Everyone has to play with a simulation. Everyone has to do an experiment. Everyone has to work on problems to solve. So, as I said, I am teaching different ways, but I suspect (hope?) that differentiating means more. Then, if I differentiate "product", who decides which kids produce which kind of evidence of learning? Won't everyone want the perceived easiest option?

OK, that was my first question. Next:

2. Once I know what it is that I am planning on doing, how do I answer if I am asked: "Do you have evidence that shows that this is a good idea?"

Thank you for any ideas or references you may have. Have a good weekend.