Re: [Phys-l] Alpha decay intensity against distance

P.S.

1) The range-energy relation for alpha particles in air (at NTP, and for E=>2 MeV) is E(MeV)=2.12*R(cm)^2/3. In other words, R=1 cm when E=1.2 MeV.

2) Mike's table shows that the detector stops counting alpha particles near 2 cm of air. Suppose the cutoff distance is 1.5 cm. This corresponds to E=2.7 MeV. The R=2 cm would correspond to E=3.4 MeV. This seems to indicate that the energy of most alphas escaping the source somewhere between 2.5 and 3 MeV. That is already very useful to me. But I am not correcting for the unknown thickness of the window of Mike's counter.

3) By the way, R=0.4 cm at E=0.8 MeV and R=0.6 cm at E=1.5 MeV. But that is not relevant.

Ludwik