Re: [Phys-l] book/movie review: The Mechanical Universe

Hi all-
I have been an advocate of "Mecanical Universe" for a number of years. There are two editions. One, by Frautschi, et al, styled "Advanced Edition" is NOT the preferred edition. The other version, by Olenick and others in in "et al." is more basic and reviews (it was origianlly intended to teach) Calculus. The book is readable - an innovation for physics texts, and, for the most part stays focussed on a single goal, as JD suggests. Inclusion of thermodynamics in the book was a mistake. Look for Reviews.
There was a second Volume on E&M., "Beyond the Mechanical ...", now out of print. We got permission to have some copies printed up at the Callege of Du Page (Glen Ellyn, Illiois). I have used both for a text. The students seem to like the style, contrasting it with that of what they called the "plug and chug" textbooks that are in common use.
The original movies suffered from long scenes with costumed actors walking around trying to look distinguished. The meaty parts have now been extracted onto videodiscs, and acompanied by helpful textual material that the students can work with while viewing the videos. In my classes it was important to have such material. Otherwise student attention never got focussed on the movie.
Regards,
Jack