Re: [Phys-l] What's to know about photovoltaic panels?

Concentrating sunlight onto photovoltaic cells (PVCs) is being actively researched in an attempt to reduce the amount of expensive semiconductor necessary to generate a given amount of electrical energy. Concentrating the sunlight on the PVCs increases the temperature of the PVCs, which increases their electrical resistance. For this reason, PVCs exposed to concetrated sunlight are often cooled (via water cooling or thermoelectric coolers, for example). I have a high school student who is studying the relationship between the temperature and efficiency (electrical power out divided by light power in) of a PVC. He uses mirrors to concentrate sunlight on the PVC and distilled water to cool the PVC. If you wanted to use it in your IB class, it would probably be a multi-day project, rather than a one-day lab.

Daniel Crowe
Loudoun County Public Schools
Academy of Science
dan.crowe@loudoun.k12.va.us
Mark Sylvester <mark.sylvester@spin.it> 08/30/09 3:20 PM >>>
This year I want to include a lab based around a small photovoltaic
panel in my IB higher level practical program. I'd appreciate
suggestions as to what might make an interesting investigation.