[Phys-l] Problem-Based Learning Has Been Around For Centuries (was PER and Medical Education)

If you reply to this long (9 kB) post please don't hit the reply button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

ABSTRACT: Nathaniel Lasry (2009) wrote: "MedEd has been onto student-centered approaches for quite a while. McMaster's medical school developed problem based learning (PBL) in the late 60s." But Don Woods of the McMaster University Chemical Engineering Department, has pointed out that PBL HAS BEEN AROUND FOR CENTURIES and that all research is PBL. This and a wealth of other information on PBL is hidden in the PhysLrnR archives <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/physlrnr.html>, as revealed by the approximately 60 hits obtained by typing "PBL" (without the quotes) into the powerful but seldom used PhysLrnR search engine at
<http://listserv.boisestate.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=physlrnr&X=->.