Re: [Phys-l] transformer question

Mangala Joshua wrote:
The transformer equation in undergraduate texts is
Vp/Vs=Np/Ns
However if we set up an experiment we observe that
Vp/Vs depends on the frequency of the primary source( or Vs changes with frequency)
What is the cause of this frequency dependence?
Mangala Joshua
Losses increase with frequency, not least of which is hysteresis
loss of the magnetic circuit. Designers wanting higher frequency
performance begin with thinner core stampings, select high-silicon
steel for lower eddy current loss, proceed to wire-wound core
toroids,then use iron dust and ferrite cores, finishing with
air-cores.

Brian W