Re: [Phys-l] The Elephant in the Room: Overpopulation

If you reply to this long (12 kB) post please don't hit the reply button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.

ABSTRACT: In response to my post "The Elephant in the Room: Overpopulation," both Richard Heckathorn and Alfredo Louro stated that they did not see how overpopulation relates to physics or physics education. In "Education for a Sustainable Future" [Hake (2004)] I quoted a possibly enlightening passage from Bartlett's (1997) article "Environmental Sustainability": "The explosion of knowledge and communication has been accompanied by an explosion of anti-knowledge. If students leave our classes and are unable to separate sense from nonsense, they will be of little value to a society that is going to face enormous real problems. It may be that no other academic discipline is seriously or realistically concerned with education for sustainability. IN WHICH CASE, IT'S UP TO US. [My CAPS.]"

1. Richard Heckathorn (2009) of the Physhare list wrote: "I FOR ONE DO NOT SEE HOW THIS RELATES TO PHYSICS. Further co2 emissions and it's effect on the environment has it's pro's and cons with $'s driving the cause." [My CAPS.]

2. Alfredo Louro (2009) of the PhysLrnR list wrote: "I'm sorry, I DON'T SEE THE CONNECTION WITH PHYSICS, OR PHYSICS EDUCATION. I hope you're not suggesting that we should 'educate' people not to have children." [My CAPS.]

I suspect that neither Heckathorn nor Louro seriously considered Bartlett's (2008) article "Why have Scientists Succumbed to Political Correctness?" referred to in my *complete* post at <http://tinyurl.com/krfmw9>. In any case:

WHAT DOES OVERPOPULATION HAVE TO DO WITH PHYSICS EDUCATION?

I quoted Al Bartlett's answer to that question about 5 years ago in a post "Education for a Sustainable Future" [Hake (2004)]. Therein I wrote [bracketed by lines "HHHHHHH. . . ."; references have been updated]:

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Al Bartlett (1997, 1998, 2001) and Michael Kraft (1999) have both deplored the fact that the wildly popular "sustainable development" movement usually side steps the key problem of population growth.