Re: [Phys-l] Energy Transfer with hammers

What makes you think that the statements are correct?
Regards,
Jack

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, chuck britton wrote:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com//item/8391/titanium-hammers-up-for-
grabs-want-one
has an interesting 'claim' about energy transfer.

"My reason for going with titanium: energy. A titanium hammer
transfers 97% of your energy from swinging the hammer to the nail
head, while a steel hammer transfers only 70% of your energy to the
nail. Titanium drives a nail more efficiently and there?s less recoil
energy to travel back into your arm."

This seems to BEG for some simple 'Mechanics' analysis.
Maybe 'Impedance matching'? admittedly - NOT a topic usually covered
in intro mechanics but maybe it SHOULD be?