[Phys-l] surfing

I'm curious about the physics of surfing (for no particular reason other than curiosity... and note that I don't surf so I don't have any physical experience to help me build intuition). Here are a few initial questions that come to mind. If anyone sheds light on these questions, they might lead to other interesting questions.

1. It appears that surfers like to catch a wave just before it breaks. Why do breaking waves couple momentum better to a flat surfboard?

2. Given that breaking waves occur in shallow water (presumably because the lower water is slowed down by the bottom and so the higher water rushes forward and breaks), would it be possible to surf in deep water on "ordinary ocean waves" (in the absence of a net water current or air wind)?

3. I've heard of "rogue waves" occuring in deep water. Could one surf on them?

Carl
--
Carl E Mungan, Assoc Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363