Re: [Phys-l] Teaching Special Relativity

I don't think or claim that it is a pedagogical disaster to say that it might seem "as if" the mass of the object were increasing with velocity. But I do think that it approaches pedagogical malpractice not to point out in something like the same breath that it should not be taken seriously because it leads to all sorts of other problems. Furthermore, it seems to me to be a simple and appropriate matter to go on to point out that the more appropriate way to view the result is either

1. that the classical formula for momentum is simply wrong although it obviously works very well at low speeds

and/or

2. as John Denker has pointed out, that we are simply using the wrong velocity, that the correct velocity measures distance traveled in the frame of the observer per unit time interval in the frame of the object (i.e., the spatial component of the "proper velocity.")

I'd also take this opportunity to say that, just as I firmly believe that mass should be viewed as a property of an object, I also agree with John Denker that the length of an object should be, and is certainly more elegantly viewed as a property of the object (and further that the time interval between causally connected events and the distance between acausally connected events should be viewed as properties of the relationship between the events.) Nevertheless, unlike the case with mass, it seems to me that it is easy to operationally define a frame-dependent "length of a moving object" (and frame dependent times and distances between events) and that there is not, in these cases, such grave downsides to doing so. Moreover, I maintain that considerable enlightenment accrues to those who follow that path carefully, work through several of the apparent paradoxes, come to see that relativity is beautifully self- consistent, and eventually graduate to a more elegant worldview based on the geometry of spacetime and invariant quantities.

John Mallinckrodt
Cal Poly Pomona