[Phys-l] Teaching Special Relativity

I know I should just be quiet here and go ahead and do what I do (for a couple more years), but here goes anyway.....

As usual, the Phys-L discussion, this time through on relativistic mass, has two or more levels--the physics majors (maybe graduate level) and the intro physics level. I won't address the former since I have never had to deal with that (no physics majors, intro level courses only) in my 30 years of teaching. What I will defend is the 'traditional' approach to special relativity for intro courses, most especially those for non-science majors (gen-ed).

At the outset we start with students (even science majors--chem & bio) who are mostly Aristotilean thinkers. Giving the FCI to my chem/engineering students the first day of class shows this consistently. We work for the most part of a semester to bring some fraction (reasonably large based on the FCI retaken at the 1st semester exam) up to Newtonian thinking. That is, we try to move the world view of students from a 300 BC up to the 18th Century--in my case concentrating on MOTION as the focus. At this point I (we) want to at least introduce the idea that Newtonian Physics, as useful as it is even today, breaks down at high velocity or very small spatial scales. The students are now thinking (hopefully) in Newtonian terms. So how best to relay information about what relatitivity and quantum mechanics change. We are not ready, willing, or able to consider making the students fluent in 'modern physics' but don't want to close the book at Newtonian Physics either.

In my mind (and obviously many others--including most authors) the way to do this is to concentrate on the observational evidence and to do so from the framework of a Newtonian world model. Here is where moving clocks run slow, moving masses increase, and moving lengths contract come into play because these 'apparent' effects are observable (at least two are.) The PSSC film on muon lifetimes at Mt. Washington presents the time dilation evidence (and deduces the length contraction evidence) quite nicely--I remember this film from High School. There is annother PSSC film on bending electrons with magnets and showing that the needed field that was seemingly linear in momentum ceases to be so unless we look at the mass increasing with velocity. [This may not be the 'correct' way to look at this according to modern ideas, but it is an accessible way for our students.] Couple all this with the non-simultaneity of events as viewed from different frames and you have a fairly interesting, even exciting way to INTRODUCE special relativity. One doesn't really have to speak of paradoxes--just non-Newtonian effects. The travelling twin IS YOUNGER when he returns---actually giving the 'possibility' of humans being able to travel accross the galaxy--even between galaxies in a single 'lifetime'---not much of a possibility to be sure, but still a possibility. For Gen-Ed students one doesn't even go into the math beyond showing things like the magnetic field prediction from classical and relativistic calculations--not the full calculations although that's OK for the science majors. The approach is descriptive--here are the apparently 'strange' predictions of special relativity when viewed from our Newtonian world and here are some experimental results that display this behavior. I don't even touch on General Relativity other than to relay the fact that GPS systems require its use.

I have never been too concerned with advanced students having to 'unlearn' someting--if really capable of advancing, they should be able to do this handily. After all, we all learn and unlearn as we advance our levels of understanding and models. I don't think anyone wants us to start out our intro courses with 11-dimensional string theory, even if it is 'a model of everything' including the origin of the Big Bang (as I just watched on the Science Channel)! ;-)

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Software (including special relativity animations ;-)
PC & Mac