Re: [Phys-l] velocity-dependent mass (or not)

Hi all-
I try to teach students to use operational definitions of physical quanttities. The lifetime of muons is the answer you get from meaqsuring the decay lengths of a bunch of incident muons. The mass of an electron is the answer you get from measuring the radius of curvature of and electron track in a magnetic field.
The results of these meassurements depend on the speed of the particle being measured. It is useful, therefore, to refer these measurements to common standards, that is, the values in the PDB.
The process of comparing measured values with PDB values is useful for the identification of particles detected in an experiment.
Beyond this, I am unwilling to go. As long as the referent is unambiguous, I care not what you call it. A rose by any other name is just as fragrant, no matter what Einstein may have called it.
Regards,