Re: [Phys-l] Thesis Topic

Quoting John Denker <jsd@av8n.com>:
On 06/20/2009 10:58 AM, Rory Ian BUalan wrote:
I'm in my 2nd year in MST-Physics. We're told to think of
possible thesis topics for our proposal sumbission. I want a topic
that is interesting and is very relevant right now...

You might take as a model the paper by Gary Oas
"On the Abuse and Use of Relativistic Mass"
http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0504110
I like this work for a number of reasons. For one thing, it
includes an extensive survey of textbooks, resulting in some
nice clear charts showing the secular trends.

Gary Oas reviewed 637 books/textbooks and found that 477 of which still introduced relativistic mass. Interestingly, many argued that this concept is no longer in use. To break Gary Oas' record of 637 books would also be interesting! :-)

Alphonsus