Re: [Phys-l] [tap-l] Wind Shear

Cross posted for the experts comment.

I suspect runways are made somewhat longer than necessary for zero wind speeds. The problem comes when the wind direction changes unexpectedly, or as described below, so the craft must increse its (ground) speed to prevent stalling. This then requires a longer runway.

Small (non-commercial) craft use dinky runways? So in their case, I suspect, the solution is to use full power and not land. Not a viable option at an international airport w/ commercial craft?

bc asking.

p.s. is this ever a problem on take off near the ground? Not as, as ground speed acceleration increases on lift off from absence of rolling friction? Under adverse conditions, do pilots force their planes to stay grounded longer than normal so lift off speeds are greater? (again demanding longer runways)