Re: [Phys-l] Greenhouse gases

This is another case of bad test questions.

D is correct, but NOT what makes gasses green house gasses. It's an artifact of their character.** What makes a gas green house is its absorption in the mid and far IR and its transmission in the near and visible. This is because, not the mechanism, which was your principal question, most of the sun's energy is in the vis. and near IR; not the UV.

Regarding your mechanism question, its dealt with in most optics texts, e.g. Jenkins and White.

Again not the basic mechanism you desire, but that of simple global warming (greenhouse) is found in wiki's Greenhouse effect page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_effect

Especially note:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Atmospheric_Transmission.png

**Note O3/2 are anti-greenhouse gasses as they absorbs UV and transmits vis. and IR. The absorption above 190 nm is due to O3, as O2 completely absorbs below 190, and is transparent above thru the vis.

bc