Re: [Phys-l] Spectacular Results or Artifacts?

On Jun 4, 2009, at 1:03 PM, Brian Whatcott wrote:

Ludwik,

I see that Richard's results depend critically on the behavior of a
plastic film.
It is possible to argue that pitting effects are potentiated by the
presence of
a particular chemical solution carrying ionic currents.
One can demonstrate the attraction of charged radon nuclear byproducts
on dust to CRT screens using a cold war era survey meter - an experiment
described in several threads here in prior years - and so it is natural
to suppose that such a Geiger-Muller arrangement with a counter, would
provide increased credibility to the linkage implied between pitting and
nuclear effects here, if it were shown to detect such putative nuclear
events also.

Brian W
p.s. One of the numerous materials used to plasticize plastic films is a
lead compound: dibutyl mallate.

ludwik kowalski wrote:
Dear Friends,

I am ready to replicate the experiment of Richard Oriani. His paper,
presented at ICF14 (International Cold Fusion Conference, 14 in
Washington D.C. 2008) can be downloaded from:

http://pages.csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/368TGP_oriani.pdf

Richard claims that his spectacular results (a nuclear activity of
some kind, triggered by electrolysis) are now reproducible-on-demand.

Yes, indeed; paying attention to possible artifacts is essential in this case. That is why control experiments are necessary. A control chip is processed in nearly the same way as the experimental chip, except for electrolysis. If i had two cells I would do what Oriani suggested--placing a control chip into the identical second cell, in which the electric current is zero. My control chips will be placed into the container with electrolyte; that is close enough to the ideal. We will have much more to do, if our experiments also produced excessive track. Each possible artifacts should be investigated.

In the past I applied CR-39 to the Pt and Ni wires I am using (for weeks) and etched the chips, and to the glass of my empty cell. Nothing above the background was detected. I now suspect that electric charges are somehow created on CR-39 left in air for long time. That is why keeping chips in salty water (which Oriani does not do) is very important. A common Geiger counter might not be sensitive enough to detect the level of radiation needed to produce tracks observed by Richard. The mean background on my chips is 13 tr/cm^2 (st. dev is 4). My threshold, for saying that excess tracks are real is high; the mean of 25 (and st.dev. 5) would not be enough, no matter what a statistician might say. Why not? Because some of the assumptions statisticians make might not be satisfied. But the mean of 100 (and the st. dev. 10) would already be significant, with my CR-39 background. Do you remember what Ernest Rutherford said about reliance on statistics? Ask Google, s/he will find the quote for you.

I would very much appreciate hearing about other possible artifacts. Thanks in advance. And do not miss an opportunity to expose your students to a real controversy.

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physics teacher and an amateur journalist. Updated links to publications and reviews are at:

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/ http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/my_opeds.html http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/revcom.html

Also an ESSAY ON ECONOMICS at: http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/economy/essay9.html