[Phys-l] Looking for a project?

Dear Friends,

I am ready to replicate the experiment of Richard Oriani. His paper, presented at ICF14 (International Cold Fusion Conference, 14 in Washington D.C. 2008) can be downloaded from:

http://pages.csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/368TGP_oriani.pdf

Richard claims that his spectacular results (a nuclear activity of some kind, triggered by electrolysis) are now reproducible-on-demand. Several days ago, he informed me that nine additional experiments were performed after the above paper was published. Excessive tracks of nuclear projectiles were observed in all of these experiments.

To verify this, I want to replicate his experiments this summer. But that is not enough. The same attempt must be made by several independent researchers. Please join me, if you are interested. Our results, either positive or negative, would be published. The ICCF15 is in October 2009, in Rome, Italy.

The equipment needed is probably available to some of you. Technical and practical details will be described in my next message, probably later today. Those who are tentatively (not yet definitely) interested, should contact me in private.

KowalskiL@mail.montclair.edu

P.S.

a) Consider also a possibility of working with a serious student. How often do students have a chance of contributing to an ongoing controversy.

b) One thing you will need is a d.c power supply whose output can be regulated between zero and 20 volts (and able to deliver up to about 70 mA).

c) For etching CR-39 chips, you would need an oven, in which a constant temperature, close to 70C, can be kept. Instead of an oven, I am using a hot plate which has a built-in thermostat, and which allows me to use a standard magnetic steerer (to keep the temperature of the etching solution the same within the beaker). Your chemistry lab is likely to have this kind of equipment. They can also provide you with NaOH (for making the etching solution), and the Li2SO4 (for making the electrolyte). Ask a chemist about dangers of working with NaOH; the Li2SO4 is not dangerous, unless you drink it, or put it into your eyes.

d) Our biology department allows me to use their microscope with a digital camera. A traditional microscope can also be used to see tracks on the etched CR-39 chips.

e) A platinum wire is reusable; you should be able to borrow a piece (about 6 to 7 cm), to make an anode. You will need a nickel wire, of approximately the same length, to make a cathode.

f) Details about the CR-39 material, about thin mylar, etc. will be provided after I know how many people would be willing to participate, and to share costs (perhaps as little as $25 from each participant).

g) That will be serious attempt to contribute to the ongoing debate about what used to be called "cold fusion." The field is now known as CMNS, as explained in the recent CBS (60 minutes) broadcast.

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physics teacher and an amateur journalist. Updated links to publications and reviews are at:

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/ http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/my_opeds.html http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/revcom.html

Also an ESSAY ON ECONOMICS at: http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/economy/essay9.html