Re: [Phys-l] resonance animation

How stupid of me not to have searched after I had reported on "O Botafumeiro" a year ago July:
--------------------
Since pendula have interested me, I have rather exhaustively searched
the subject and not found the analysis of such. Of course parametric
driving is common, e.g. pumping a swing and varying the rod length
(e.g. O Botafumeiro), but not coupling two pendulua in such a manner.

I examined the rod below the knife edge carefully and note the
adjustment is in the form a two or three metal rods temperature
compensator.

Any comments?

bc

Baker and Blackburn**use it as an introduction to their chapter "Pendulums less simple", which deals with dissipation, non- isochronism, and, inter alia, parametric forcing. They include a picture of the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela, and drawings of the censor and the support structure for the rope. Incidentally the "forcers" are tiraboleiros. They pull on command from the chief verger of the Cathedral. The amplitude (max.) is approximately 82 degrees, so the max speed is ~ 68 km/h!. There has been at least three accidents w/ the pendulum; one of them has been suggested "intentional" to kill the Archbishop, Sureo Gomez de Toledo. June 29, 1622.

** the Pendulum, a case study in physics.

bc, pendulum man