Re: [Phys-l] paint your roof?

A claim I seriously doubt can be sustained. Passenger vehicles use about 17% of the U.S. energy consumption while air-conditioning is at about 5%. Heating is at 20% and the white roofs would increase (to some extent) heating demand. Hard for me to see the numbers working out unless Chu is integrating the air-conditioning savings over a century or so. Never forget the Mark Twain quote about statistics. ;-)

Rick

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anthony Lapinski" <Anthony_Lapinski@pds.org>
To: <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 6:30 AM
Subject: [Phys-l] paint your roof?

Here's an interesting news item this morning: paint your roof white to
reflect sunlight and save energy. This (and other changes) could have the
equivalent effect of taking every car in the world off the road for 11
years. That's an amazing claim.

http://green.yahoo.com/news/afp/20090526/sc_afp/climatewarmingusbritainchu.html