Re: [Phys-l] PSSC +- (c)

1) On 5/24/2009 John Denker wrote:

“I find it outrageous that _PSSC Physics_ has been out of print for several years.  How can such an important and well-beloved book go out of print? What's next?  Is _The Joy of Cooking_ going to go out of print?

Even if you're not going to adopt it and give it to students, IMHO _PSSC Physics_ should be required reading for anybody who teaches (or is contemplating teaching) introductory physics.

_PSSC Physics_ has style.  It has class.  It approaches problems the way a physicist would approach them.  . . .

I few years ago during the PSSC 50th anniversary celebrations I suggested to some AAPT and APS folks that it might be worth asking the copyright holders (Kendall/Hunt) to release all the PSSC copyrights into the public domain, donate them to APS, or some such.  The folks thought it was a great idea, but AFAICT they never followed up on it.  The last time I asked for an update they didn't even answer my email.

I still think it's worth a try.

It's not like the copyrights are contributing anything to the Kendall/Hunt bottom line as it is.”

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

2) Bernard Cleyet responded

“I'm not a careful reader, so my thought is it's already passed into the public domain if it wasn't renewed timely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ ;
United_States_copyright_law#Duration_of_copyright

Go to duration of copyrite (rites of passage)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

3) Then  John Denker wrote:

“ *1) Initially, that struck me as an exceedingly implausible hypothesis. How could anybody "forget" to renew a copyright?

Also note that works first published in 1964 or later are protected for a very long term, whether or not renewed.

*2) On the other hand, I just now did some checking.  I don't pretend to have fully mastered the facts or the law, but is sure looks like the first edition of the PSSC text, and many of the films, have passed into the public domain.

In contrast, later editions of the text (2nd through 7th) are still protected by copyright AFAICT, and will remain so for many decades.

*2a) Quoting from

  http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ22.pdf

Works First Published or Copyrighted Between January 1,
1950, and December 31, 1963 .... If not renewed, the
copyright expired at the end of its 28th calendar year.

The first edition of the text came out in 1960.  FWIW there were some preliminary versions before then.  Many of the films came out in 1960 or thereabouts.  The second edition of the text came out in 1965.

*2b) After searching official records via http://cocatalog.loc.gov/ I find no indication of renewal for the first edition text or for any of the films.

Note: I believe the title of the first edition was recorded as "Physics" not "PSSC Physics".

Note: If you want to see what a non-null result looks like, do the corresponding search for "Green Eggs and Ham" which was also first published in 1960.  Note that the renewal (filed in 1988 of course) is listed by the web site under the year 1960.  This makes it very easy to spot in the listing.

*3) Next step:  We ought to get an actual expert to check the law and the facts on this.

Assuming that works out, then we should track down the cleanest available copies of the films, digitize them, and put them up on a high-bandwidth server somewhere.  And/or put them on DVD.

Also scan the book and make it available in pdf and/or djvu format. It should be a no-brainer to get funding for this.  Next year is the 50th anniversary of the first edition.

In particular:  Does anybody on this list have a copy of the first edition of the text?

Maybe the current copyright holder (Kendall/Hunt) would cooperate with this project.

Maybe the MIT archives have clean masters or even negatives for the films.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

4) Ludwik Kowalski wrote: “I do have the 1960 book; it is in very good shape for scanning. Who is willing to scan the book (656 pages)?

5) Joe Wise wrote:

“I could scan it over time. School is out in three weeks. I helped proof the 6th edition with Uri.”

I would be glad to send the copy of my book to Joe, for the purpose of scanning it. But scanning of 656 pages would be a lot of work. My suggestion is that either Joe, or someone else, asks for a written permission form the publisher (D.C. Heath and Company, Boston) if it exists, or from the company that absorbed it. Puting the file on a DVD would also need a permission; perhaps both permissions should be asked for at the same time. Let me know when all is ready.

It is a good idea to make this book available to as many teachers as possible. I never used it as a textbook. But I am reading it now and I agree that it a very valuable resource. Actually, I read parts of it before. Making the films (which match the book content) available would also be a worthwhile project.

“Physics” published by D.C. Heath and Company, under arrangement with Educational Services Incorporated. Copyright  1960 Educational Services Incorporated.  No part of the material covered by this copyright may be reproduced in any form without written permission of the publisher.

Ludwik