[Phys-l] what's wrong with this picture?

Hi --

I find it outrageous that _PSSC Physics_ has been out of print for several
years. How can such an important and well-beloved book go out of print?
What's next? Is _The Joy of Cooking_ going to go out of print?

Even if you're not going to adopt it and give it to students, IMHO
_PSSC Physics_ should be required reading for anybody who teaches (or is
contemplating teaching) introductory physics.

_PSSC Physics_ has style. It has class. It approaches problems the way
a physicist would approach them.

Why is it that Zitzewitz _Glencoe Physics_ is still in print, even though
reviewers have called it the worst physics text ever? Why is it that
_PSSC Physics_ is out of print, even though reviewers have called it the
best physics text ever? Is this some sort of anti-Darwinian survival of
the unfittest?

========

I few years ago during the PSSC 50th anniversary celebrations I suggested
to some AAPT and APS folks that it might be worth asking the copyright
holders (Kendall/Hunt) to release all the PSSC copyrights into the public
domain, donate them to APS, or some such. The folks thought it was a
great idea, but AFAICT they never followed up on it. The last time I
asked for an update they didn't even answer my email.

I still think it's worth a try.

It's not like the copyrights are contributing anything to the Kendall/Hunt
bottom line as it is.