From: "Gary Karshner" <gkarshner@stmarytx.edu>
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2009 1:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Bad physics in National park

John,
Thanks for the nice reference to how air foils work. I tried to
find the Wright Brother's original patent to see if I could find how they
thought wings worked, but my browser would not open the files.
This last week in the news there was an article about how bumble
bees fly from highs speed camera observations. At one time it was shown
that bumble bees couldn't fly as their wings do not supply enough lift. In
the course of more detailed modeling it was found that there bodies supply
the extra lift needed. This was applied into the design of transport
planes. Now I assume all planes. These latest observations point out there
wing action is not near maximum efficiency, and they give up some
efficiency for maneuverability.

Gary

.