Re: [Phys-l] Re. Simultaneity

On 05/21/2009 06:11 AM, Michael Edmiston wrote:

.... Students misinterpret the diagrams because they have been taught an
improper way to find the projections of points onto the graph's axes.

I heartily agree with this in spirit. I won't quote the whole message,
but I encourage everyone to read it:
https://carnot.physics.buffalo.edu/archives/2009/5_2009/msg00277.html

A couple of follow-ups:

1) The problem is not confined to spacetime diagrams. I first encountered
the problem when I was 11 or 12 years old in the context of a psychrometric
chart. The whole story is here:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/axes.htm

Perhaps some of you have figured out a better way of saying or explaining
what I am trying to explain. Maybe I shouldn't be using the word
"projection."

2) The more I think about it, the more it appears that the notion of "axis"
is the problem. The notion of "projection" is not the fundamental problem,
technically speaking and/or pedagogically speaking. By the time you have
formulated the problem as projection onto an "axis", you have already
fallen into the pit.

The constructive suggestion is to focus on _contours of constant value_ of
this-or-that variable. Such contours are hinted at by the tick marks on each
axis, so when you erase the axis-line be sure to keep the tick marks. Extend
the ticks (contours) so that they fill the entire diagram, as on the psychrometric
chart
http://www.av8n.com/physics/axes.htm#fig-PsychrometricChart-SeaLevel-SI
and also on my spacetime diagram paper:
http://www.av8n.com/physics/spacetime005blue-only.pdf
http://www.av8n.com/physics/spacetime005blue.pdf
http://www.av8n.com/physics/spacetime005red-only.pdf
http://www.av8n.com/physics/spacetime005red.pdf
http://www.av8n.com/physics/spacetime005redblue.pdf

To repeat: When dealing with the X variable, you never need the X axis,
but you always need the contours of constant X.

Grid-style graph paper has the nice property that it shows the contours of
constant X and contours of constant Y ... but it has the drawback that only
orthogonal contours are shown. On a spacetime diagram, the contours of one
frame are not orthogonal to the contours of another frame. Even within a
frame, contours that are orthogonal in real spacetime must be drawn as non-
orthogonal on the diagram, because of the funny business that occurs when
spacetime is projected onto the page. In thermodynamics, the contours are
often not even straight, let alone orthogonal.