Re: [Phys-l] Star Trek

... if you are a dualist and believe in mind (apart from matter), then the transporter's preserving memories would be an open question.

Yes that depends ones concept of mind. At least one religion thinks minds exist before conception. That''s why they have so many children. I remember a (ca. 1940?) movie in which there's a "mind" waiting for the heroine's conception

bc, NOT one of them.
p.s. Is there anyone among us who thinks memory is not physical?

p.p.s. In another Dr. Who, the evil person, IIRC, unties the life line while the Dr. is doing a space walk. As usual ** he has a cricket ball in his pocket which he carefully throws. The result: he moves back to the ship.

** Not the only episode wherein he has one.