Re: [Phys-l] Re. Simultaneity

On 05/20/2009 12:34 PM, Eric Lane, Lane wrote:
Re. Simultaneity: With reference to the train/platform thought
problem, suppose a mid-point observer in the train frame S-prime
confirms simultaneity when two light sources flash at the ends of his
train of length L.

OK, mostly.

Then an equivalent observer (equivalent in the
sense that he is situated at the mid point of the platform) in frame
S, also of length L, will not observe simultaneity. However, a
non-equivalent observer in the platform frame S located (beta)L/2 to
the right of the mid-point observer, will observe simultaneity. We
derived this result from our Equation of Light, and the same result
can be obtained by the usual Lorentz transformation procedure. Why
restrict considerations of simultaneity to equivalent observers?

As John M. pointed out, the notion of "equivalent" observers is
nonstandard and unhelpful.

There is a conventional, sensible way of analyzing all problems of this
ilk:

1) Draw the spacetime diagram.

2) Analyze the situation in terms of _events_, i.e. points in spacetime.

3) Draw the spacetime diagram already.

4a) When we directly _observe_ an event, we observe it _at_ the event,
i.e. at the place and time that the event occurred. This eliminates
all questions about the meaning of the observation.

4b) Sometimes it is possible to observe an event indirectly, perhaps by
observing some other event and applying corrections for distance=rate*time
and/or other corrections. It is up to you to prove that your indirect
observation is equivalent to the direct observation.

5) See item 1.

6) Let's not play word games. The question is supposed to concern the
simultaneous (or not) emission of the light pulses. Those are the events
we are supposed to be observing. Arrival of the pulses at this-or-that
observer is *not* directly what we are supposed to be observing. If the
non-midpoint observer thinks the emission events are simultaneous, he is
observing the wrong events and/or is applying the wrong correction terms.
The emission events are not simultaneous w.r.t the platform frame, and
fiddling with the observers cannot change this.