[Phys-l] Re. Simultaneity

Re. Simultaneity: With reference to the train/platform thought problem, suppose a mid-point observer in the train frame S-prime confirms simultaneity when two light sources flash at the ends of his train of length L. Then an equivalent observer (equivalent in the sense that he is situated at the mid point of the platform) in frame S, also of length L, will not observe simultaneity. However, a non-equivalent observer in the platform frame S located (beta)L/2 to the right of the mid-point observer, will observe simultaneity. We derived this result from our Equation of Light, and the same result can be obtained by the usual Lorentz transformation procedure. Why restrict considerations of simultaneity to equivalent observers?

Tom-Orofino@UTC.edu
Prof. Eric T. Lane eric-lane@utc.edu
Physics Dept. 2352 423-265-7804
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga 37403-2409