Re: [Phys-l] stellar distance measurement

Thanks, Gary.
Since we need the absolute magnitude to plot the HR position, the first method is presumably just a guesstimate... we put it somewhere up in the supergiant zone. This is what I thought but then databases give 2 or 3 significant figures for the distance, so I now understand that the proper motion and binary orbit measurements are important techniques.

Mark

Gary Karshner wrote:
Mark,
There are a number of ways to estimate the distance to a star like Antares. The crudest is from its position on the HR diagram one can estimate it absolute magnitude, from its proper motion and a model of the galaxy again a distance cam be measured. Also it is an optical binary so we can use its companion as well. If we had a good orbit again it would be possible to use its orbital elements to compare its angular separation with the measured angular separation. There are a number of other possible techniques as well. Usually astronomers use a number of these to bracket its distance. It is a nice example of "bootstrapping," where we take what we know about stars whose parallax we can measure and use this to extrapolate further out.
I hope this helps.
Gary