Re: [Phys-l] Star Trek

I recall a wonderful scene from Dr. Who: The Doctor and his faithful companion are escaping down a long tunnel which acts sort of like an anti-gravity conveyor belt, chased by the inevitable bad guys (not Daleks, but I forget who). They come to the end of the tunnel and simply step out. The Doctor comments something like, "Good thing for having that inertial compensator, but I don't think people should fool with the laws of physics." He proceeds to destroy the compensator with his sonic screwdriver. The baddies come out of the tunnel and crash into the wall, falling unconscious. The Doctor steps over them and says, "Newton's revenge!"

"Magnetism, as you recall from physics class,
is a powerful force that causes certain items
to be attracted to refrigerators."
- Dave Barry

Dr. George Spagna
Physics Department