Re: [Phys-l] Star Trek

On May 19, 2009, at 2:01 PM, John Clement wrote:

The original post did question what happened to the momentum during
transport. The characters did fall to the floor, implying that some
momentum was still there. But I interpreted it as being the fall due to the
materialization over the floor. It is wonderful how they can always
materialize the people contacting the floor. One would think they might
miss by an fraction of a cm or more. So why were the characters
materialized in the middle of the air in this case?
They actually did that in this movie. Scott materialized inside a water cooling tank (instead of the floor) and Kirk had to follow the length of the tube to save his companion. He eventually had to evacuate the whole tankload of liquid to retrieve his soaked partner. In the original series I remember once when someone failed to rematerialize and was lost and a time when an alternate Kirk appeared instead of the original.

Interesting factoid: nowhere in the original series does anyone say,"Beam me up Scotty."

And it always seemed ludicrous that the captain's chair did not have seat
belts. He is always getting thrown out. But I guess the Enterprise never
went at "ludicrous" speed, so they didn't need seat belts.

It is entertainment after all. It is sometimes difficult to watch certain
old movies and take them seriously, but people did. In Flash Gordon why did
the exhaust always go out and then angle upward? Apparently most people did
not notice it. I wonder what people 50 years from now will think of Star
Wars and Startrek. Old SF tend to seems to become dated faster compared to
old dramas.

The original StarTrek (and Next Generation) is still revered to this day for its innovative effects. One can always watch the series for Shatner's overacting and laugh, but we did that back then also, so in that sense nothing changed over the past thirty years or so. It was fun back then for those of us who followed it and it's still fun today. The political statements were poignant back then and still are today. How many of you remember the episode when Kirk beamed to a planet to capture a renegade captain who was leading an incessant war between the *Koms* and the *Yangs* and Kirk knew how to speak the sacred "Me Publista" which enabled him to escape from certain death? It turned out to be a parallel world populated by primitive Communists and Yankees and the the religious saying was actually the Preamble to the Constitution. The people of that planet had forgotten why they were fighting and what the document stood for. There were so many memorable episodes that several decades later it remains one of the most important series ever run on tv, in spite of not being particularly well received (ratings-wise) at the time. (Who can forget *The Trouble with Tribbles*, one of the funniest episodes ever?)

Another interesting factoid... the first interracial kiss on tv was between Ohura and Kirk.

I'm sure someone else can enlighten this group with further anecdotes of how StarTrek enriched their lives in a more innocent era.

And this doesn't even get into Next Generation, which likewise was a very well done series.

Marty (A Trekker from way back!)