Re: [Phys-l] Replacement Power Supply

From: "Tim.Odonnell@CelinaSchools.org" <Tim.Odonnell@CelinaSchools.org>

DC side Range A 0-15V 5A Range B 0-6 V 10A

I'd say Range B the DC side is what is mostly used. The high
amperage does help water electrolysis go quickly.

Do you need variable outputs? If not, I highly recommend adapting computer power supplies. You (or your students) can make them for cheap, perhaps even nothing, and you will not find a more bulletproof power supply.

Most ATX power supplies can output several different fixed voltages +3.3, +5, and +12 V. Some can also output -12 V, although at a much lower current. Many will let you mix and match to get in between voltages but not all. A typical output is something like Output #1: +3.3V @ 24A #2:+5V @ 28A #3: +5VDCSB @ 2.5A #4: +12V @ 15A #5: -12V @ 1A #6: -5V @ .8A (400W Max combined output ) <http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=17383+PS> This one costs $22.

Virtually every supply is short circuit protected. Just unplug and plug back in to reset.

Can you tell that I really like these? They are so cheap that each kid, not each group can use one.

Building instructions can be found all over the internet, but you can start here <http://www.instructables.com/id/Convert-an-ATX-Power-Supply-Into-a-Regular-DC-Powe/>

Zeke Kossover