Re: [Phys-l] Star Trek

In whose reference frame? Ask the same question about folks that are standing "still" on a planet with the ship orbiting above. It's one of those sticky sci-fi tech. problems. See the same sort of issues (although the idea of p conservation is mentioned) in the Stargate Atlantis episode "The Daedalus Variations." How about time travel? Does removing your momentum from one universe and adding it to a past or future universe result in a violation?

jg

Tim.Odonnell@CelinaSchools.org wrote:
I watch the new Star Trek movie this weekend. My question is about the scene were Kirk and Sulu were teleported just as they were about to hit the ground at what I'd guess would be terminal velocity (no papachute). Would not the momentum transfer through the teleport?
Tim O'Donnell
Celina High School
odonnt@celina.k12.oh.us