[Phys-l] Team-Based Learning

Some physics educators may be interested in a recent post "Team-Based Learning" [Hake (2009)].

The abstract reads (slightly edited):

ABSTRACT: In a previous post "Re: Active Learning in Medicine" I discussed the implementation of Team-Based Learning (TBL) at the Singapore branch of the Duke Medical School. In a later post I posed five questions for subscribers to the TeamLearning list, and Bill Goffe posed another question "How does TBL compare with physicists' use of conceptests?" Goffe's answer indicated both similarities and differences. Here I reference the online responses of TeamLearning subscribers to two of my questions: "What evidence supports the assertion that the first class undergoing TBL did extraordinarily well"; and "What's the difference between TBL and PBL?" As for another question: "HAS THE EFFECTIVENESS OF TBL AND PBL IN PROMOTING HIGHER-ORDER STUDENT LEARNING BEEN EVALUATED BY PRE/POST TESTING?" as far as I know, the answer is "No" for TBL and "Yes" for PBL (evidently only one evaluation due to Barbara Williams of the University of Delaware.) I suggest that just as physics education research (PER) may have something to learn from TBL and medical education, so TBL and medical education may have something to learn from PER.

To access the complete 19 kB post please click on <http://tinyurl.com/qp8nwm>.

BTW - a Google <http://www.google.com/> search for [Team-Based Learning" Physics] (with the quotes "...." but without the brackets [.....] yielded 2720 hits on 17 May 2009 20:35:34-0700.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands.
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake/>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi/>
<http://HakesEdStuff.blogspot.com/>