Re: [Phys-l] A demo for biologists?

On May 16, 2009, at 1:23 PM, Brian Whatcott wrote:

ludwik kowalski wrote:

I was not thinking about "interference fringes;" I expect the
glass area covered by a thin foil to be either much darker or much
brighter that the area that is not covered. The contrast will depend
on the film thickness. That would be an excellent demo for students.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ludwik Kowalski

Perhaps you were overlooking that the fringe effect is caused by cyclic
darkening of the field by phase differences in path length - the sort of
effect that could be increased if part of the field is phase changed in
one leg with a plastic film?

Dear Brian,

Yes, indeed; I was assuming that the beam consists of parallel rays. Cyclic darkening should be expected in a diverging or converging beam, even in a glass plate without a film. Will this prevent one from converting an invisible phase image into a visible amplitude image? This remains to be seen. A glass plate covered by a this film might not be the best possible approach. Suppose a glass plate is replaced by a thin film stretched over a hole, in a rigid frame. Suppose one half of the hole is also covered with the second thin film. In this case cyclic darkening will probably be absent. Do you agree?

Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physics teacher and an amateur journalist. Updated links to publications and reviews are at:

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/ http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/my_opeds.html http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/revcom.html

Also an ESSAY ON ECONOMICS at: http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/economy/essay9.html