[Phys-l] off-topic

p.s. George was "actually" a rather bad general, at least initially
-- "we" won the war because there were more French than Settlers at
Yorktown. He was, as John wrote, politically astute. More
recently, the Soviets had, essentially, won the war before D-Day.

Having just read "1776", a great history read, if you like that sort of thing.

I think the above is correct for George as a Tactician. But as noted was politically astute. Which at a certain level of military command is more important than many tactical or even operational level military science. I suspect similar comments could be made about Eisenhower, who unlike Washington enjoyed overwhelming material advantage.

Please excuse the unabashedly non-physics, hence off-topic, comment. At least it is labeled as such for quick and easy deletion :-)

Joel Rauber, Ph.D
Professor and Acting Head of Physics
Department of Physics
South Dakota State University