Re: [Phys-l] Relativity Question

I'm a bit of a klutz when it comes to the analytical sides of these discussions but let me see if a concrete example might give Eric something that we can all chew on together.

Einstein used fast trains 'cuz folks back then didn't have rocket ships and such for their gedanken experiments.

If a train car has a flashbulb hanging exactly halfway between the front and back walls, folks ON the train will measure that a flash from that bulb will simultaneously light up the front and back walls.

An observer on the ground will see the back wall illuminated first because that wall is moving towards the flash of light.

Eric - does this example help us look at your question in any new light?

I've always used the Lorentz dilation/contraction approach and realized early on that it is the impossibility of simultaneity that is often overlooked. There's no nice 'equation' to sum it up as there is for time and space intervals.

Two events that are simultaneous in one frame CANNOT be simultaneous in ANY OTHER frame.
(unless of course they are at the same location as well as the same time -
in which case I'll claim that they are only ONE event - not two.)